The New Year always brings new laws. For instance, even though talking on cellphones while driving was banned in California on July 1st, texting while driving was not banned here until today. (hands-free cellphone talking while driving is allowed)
California also has it's share of wacky laws still in existence.
-It is against the law for women to drive while wearing a bathrobe.
-It is against the law for animals to mate publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
Certain cities in California have their own specific laws...
- it is illegal for ducks to quack after 10:00 PM within the city limits.
- the law states that "a drunken man has as much right to a sidewalk as a sober man since he needs it a great deal more."
- it is against the law to read the Sunday paper while sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch while church services are in session.
- it is illegal to whistle for a lost canary before 7:00 A.M.
- the law states that "no male person shall make remarks to or concerning, or cough or whistle at, or do any other act to attract the attention of any woman upon or traveling along any of the sidewalks."
- the law prohibits males from "turning and looking at a woman in that way" on the Sabbath. If a second offense occurs, the assailant is required to "wear horse blinders for a 24-hour period in public."
- it is illegal for any man to purchase liquor without the written consent of his wife.
- it is against the law to eat ice cream while standing on the sidewalk.
- the law states that if a dentist accidentally pulls the wrong tooth, then the patient has the right to pull one of the dentist's teeth.
- it is against the law to have hip pockets in pants "since that is a good place to hide liquor."
- it is illegal to enter a movie theatre within four hours of eating garlic.
- according to this local law, a husband is not guilty of desertion if his wife rents his room to a boarder and "crowds him out of his house."
- it is against the law for a horse to fall asleep in a bathtub unless the rider is sleeping with the horse.
- it is illegal for any woman to chew tobacco without having the permission of her husband.
- the law allows horror films to be shown only on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.
- the law states that "no one is allowed to duel if the opponent selects water pistols as weapons."
- it is unlawful "for any male person, within the corporate limits of the city of Inglewood, to wink at any female person with whom he is unacquainted."
- any female attending a dance "must be found wearing a corset. A physician is required to inspect each female at the dance."
- it is against the law to bathe two babies in the same bathtub at the same time.
- a man can legally beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, as long as the strap is no wider than 2 inches. The wife must give her consent in order for him to legally beat her with a wider strap.
- it is illegal for the customer of a meat market to poke turkey to see how tender it is.
- it is against the law to laugh out loud in a movie theatre.
- the law states that in order to get married, a man must "prove his manhood" by shooting six blackbirds or three crows and bringing them to his prospective father-in-law.
- it is against the law for a woman to stand within five feet of a bar when she takes a drink in any public establishment serving alcoholic beverages.
- rooster crowing is outlawed within the city limits.
- bothering the butterflies carries a $500 fine.
- it is against the law for women weighing over 200 pounds that are attired in shorts to ride a horse.
- the law states that "no person shall hallo, shout, bawl, scream, use profane language, dance, sing, whoop, quarrel, or make any unusual noise or sound in any house in such a manner as to disturb the peace and quiet of the neighborhood."
- it is illegal to have two indoor bathtubs in your house.
- it is against the law to eat ice cream in public with a fork.
- it is illegal to carry a lunchbucket on the street.
- it is illegal to stick your tongue out "in the direction of" a dog.
- there is a law that guarantees sunshine for the people.
- it is illegal to swim on dry land.
- it is against the law for a horse to sleep in a bakery.
- the law states that "any person who shall in the city of Santa Monica use or carry a concealed or unconcealed any bean snapper or like article, shall, upon conviction, be fined."
- it is illegal to play cards with children or pregnant women on the curb of a street.
Upland - it is unlawful for the owner or keeper of horses, mules, cattle, sheep, goats, and hogs to "run at large."
- it is illegal to make "ugly faces" at dogs that are found "freely roaming the community".
- it is against the law to shoot open canned goods with a revolver.
- the law states "two vehicles which are passing each other in opposite directions shall have the right of way."
So, are you aware of all the wacky laws in your state?
Oh, and don't forget to pop on over to Marshall's blog to see his New Year's message, and what he can do with a Harry Potter light-up wand. Curious? You should be.